Jacqueline "Jackie" D. Young

Born on May 15, 1956

Departed on May 16, 2021 and resided in Portland, TN

Jacqueline Delores Young was the ultimate caretaker. She was happiest when nurturing living things – people, plants and flowers – and she spoiled them all with the loving way she cooked their favorite dishes, baked their mouth-watering desserts and gardened with precision.

Her bedroom was the hub of the house, especially for children. No matter the relation, they gravitated toward Jackie, and she managed to make them all feel special. Her grandchildren affectionately called her “Lucy” because she joked once that she was tired of them constantly calling her name, so she had decided to change her name to Lucy. The kids took it as permission to give their grandmother a permanent new title.

Jackie was born on May 15, 1956, and stayed true to her Portland, Tenn., roots for all of her 65 years. She gave her life to Christ at an early age and become a beloved member of the community at Parkers Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, but her desire to fellowship and praise God led her to visit many places of worship. Her spiritual caretaking involved a steadfast love and connection with people, too.

Jackie is survived by her children, Kenneth (Cathy) Young and Jon (Megan) Brewer; grandchildren, Michael Young, Elizabeth Young, Kylie Brewer, Henry Brewer, and Isla Brewer; mother, Addie Brewer; siblings, Gerald Brewer, Pamela (Rod) Hightower, Karen Brewer, and Nicole McCoy; beloved nephews, Jerry Brewer, Kyle Hightower, Tylen McCoy, and Shane Brewer; and two nieces, Jaime Middleton and Matekia Brewer.

She is preceded in death by her father, Lim Isaac Brewer; and one brother, Michael Brewer.

She lived with heartfelt simplicity. She invested in others. She challenged them to focus on what matters. She made sure the youth knew where home was and what love meant. She protected them fiercely. Her life seldom was about her. She was so adamant about staying in the background that it was difficult to get her to take pictures.

If you wanted to see her, you needed to visit. And when you saw her, you knew you were home.

20 Comments to Jacqueline "Jackie" D. Young

1. Geneva Cosby
    May 19, 2021 3:33 pm

To the family of Jackie Young. So sorry for your loss, I will keep everyone in prayer, and you all have my
    deepest sympathy.

2. Kristen Clark
    May 19, 2021 3:55 pm

So truly sorry for your loss.

3. Patti Reagle
    May 19, 2021 4:42 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. Will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

4. Toni mason
    May 19, 2021 6:10 pm

Sorry for your loss we love you all family

5. Sherry Chip Adkins
    May 19, 2021 6:41 pm

I was at a loss for words. Knowing words alone can never comfort your your broken hearts. So I thought… what would she have said to you.

Mom, Just as you have nourished me in my life with Love, knowledge and blissful peace.

Allow me to now, nourish and comfort your soul.

With the knowledge and peace of knowing that you have guided me,
    into the Only arms;
    That could Love, Defend, Comfort, Cherish and nurture me more than you.

Because of your Loving guidance Mother.
    Know, That I am now In the loving arms of my eternal Heavenly father. 💕
    Where I will eternally Honor your memories.

With all my Love.

Your little Lucy.

6. Sherry Spring Chip Wyatt Adkins
    May 19, 2021 7:03 pm

To all the members of Jackie’s family.
    We would like each of you to know. That we feel we have been Blessed and Honored to have known your family.
    Chip nor I, have ever had such respect for a family as we have for yours.
    We admire your joyfulness kindness and welcomness bestowed upon our family. Everyone could learn from your example. Your parents taught you well, expected Love to grow in your hearts and supported you in a path of righteousness.
    May GOD Always Bless you each.
    Amen

7. David and Rose Joe Stephens
    May 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Absent from the body, present with the LORD!
    To family and friends, grieve gently. I pray that the mourning will soon be replaced by fond memories we all shared with Jackie.
    Much Love! ❤️🙏🏽✝️

8. Linda Wethington
    May 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Sorry for your loss. Prayers for your family.

9. Jeanette Barton
    May 20, 2021 12:54 pm

She was always sweet, kind and funny in high school, a little shy.. She was one of my OB nurses years ago at Sumner Regional.

10. Kathy Callis
    May 20, 2021 2:21 pm

I had the pleasure of working with the Ms. Jackie at CWC. Thoughts and prayers to you and your families. So sorry for your loss.

11. Sandra Sprinkle
    May 20, 2021 3:27 pm

Travis and I are very sorry for your loss.

12. Susan Langston
    May 20, 2021 5:25 pm

I worked with Miss Jackie at CWC she was a wonderful lady and will be missed by many.My deepest sympathy to all the family.

13. Jacqueline Slayton
    May 20, 2021 5:41 pm

I love you so much! You were like my second mom at work! You were the best cook I have ever met too. You always gave the best advice you could get! Im going to miss your beautiful soul. Xoxo.

14. Bevelyn A Woods
    May 20, 2021 6:46 pm

Addie and Family so sorry for your loss

15. Linda Alexander
    May 20, 2021 7:29 pm

Family, With sadness of heart, I am so very sorry to hear of cousin Jackie’s homegoing. She was always so wonderful to us when we came to visit. Pls know that you all have our deepest condolences, prayers, love and hugs, although we cannot be there in person with you. May our Lord comfort, strengthen and keep you all. Love you all. Cousin Linda and the family.❤❤🌹

16. Crystal
    May 20, 2021 9:17 pm

Sorry for your loss, she was very sweet lady I going miss her, praying for family

17. Annette Minor Perry
    May 21, 2021 3:02 am

Jackie and I use to share and swap precious moments quotes that we would cut out of the newspapers when we were in high school.i think I still have some of those. Jackie was kind, sweet and we shared a lot of laughs. She was on shift as my OB nurse for awhile when I went in to have my second daughter. I am so sorry and will be praying for all of her family.

18. Cleo Spears
    May 21, 2021 6:46 am

I didn’t know Jackie ,but after reading her obituary it was so uplifting.What a beautiful testimony to her life. May God comfort each and everyone of you.Love and prayers Cleo and Shirley Spears

19. Vicki Couch
    May 21, 2021 10:39 am

Pam and Rod I sorry to hear about your loss of your sister. I Pray that GOD provides you all and your family with the necessary comfort during these difficult times.

20. Dona Thacker Mitchell
    May 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Mrs. Addie n rest of Jackie family
    I just found out on Facebook about Jackie passing she was awesome friend in jr high n High school !!!i lost contact with Jackie through yrs. always thought about her. Fly High Jackie !!!! You’ve earned your Wings.