Henry R. Owen, III

Born in Patchogue, NY on June 29, 1924

Departed on February 19, 2016 and resided in Hendersonville, TN

Age 91, of Hendersonville, passed away February 19, 2016.

Born in Patchogue, NY, he served as the face of the Boy Scout Foundation of Greater NY as a teenager. His picture appeared on posters displayed on buses, trains, and public buildings. He went to work for Pan American Airlines on his 18th birthday and stayed as an assistant radio operator until 1948. During this time, he also served as a Navy Aviation Radioman as part of Pan Am flight crews flying wounded military personnel out of war zones. He earned a degree from Columbia University in geochemistry and geophysics. In 1954, he joined CBS Television in New York City and ultimately spent nearly 35 years in television broadcasting, including in public TV. He went on to become Director of Television Engineering for stations in Boston, Detroit and Washington, DC.

A voracious reader, the scope of his hobbies shows he was always challenging himself. Those hobbies included sailing, teaching Morse code and ham radio procedures, photography, golf, refinishing old church pump organs, playing the accordion, singing in the church choir, and performing in community theatre productions. Henry is remembered as a quiet man with a wry sense of humor and a great smile.

Preceded in death by his parents, Ida Jane Hopkinson Owen & Henry R. Owen, II; wives, Muriel Jean Armstrong Owen & Kay Coffield Owen; sisters, Margaret Jane Owen & Lillian Ida Owen Pierce. Survived by his children, Barbara Perkins (Craig), Elisabeth DeWitt (Scott), Henry R. Owen IV; 2 grandchildren, Jane Normansell (David) & Ben DeWitt.

In Lieu of flowers donations may be made to The National Parkinson Foundation at http://www3.parkinson.org/goto/HenryOwen

A Life Celebration will be held 10:00am Tuesday March 1, at First Presbyterian Church in Hendersonville with burial to follow at Crestview Memory Gardens. Visitation will be 9:30am – 10:00am at the church.

CRESTVIEW FUNERAL HOME 1623 HWY 109 N GALLATIN TN, 37066 615-452-1943 crestviewfh.com

14 Comments to Henry R. Owen, III

1. Gay Robison
    February 22, 2016 10:40 pm

So sorry for your loss!!! My prayers are with you!

2. Bob and Colleen Moreau
    February 23, 2016 8:02 am

We are sending our thoughts and prayers to you and your family. It is very difficult losing a loved one.

3. Randy and Sue Hatfield
    February 23, 2016 10:56 am

So sorry for your loss. Thinking of your family at this time.

4. Nancy Dennis
    February 23, 2016 1:30 pm

So sorry about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. I am so glad I had the pleasure of meeting him on my visit to Hendersonville last spring.

5. Sindy Pollard
    February 23, 2016 3:14 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. Mr. Owen was a wonderful man and I have many great memories of your family during your time in Plymouth. Miles may separate us and time flies by but we have our memories to hold onto. Barbara, Liz, Henry and your families will be in my thought and prayers as you walk through this.

6. Ted and Carole Baranowski
    February 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I am lucky to have known him and happy to have seen him in the last few years. Our condolences to you and your family. You enjoyed him for many of years and I am so glad you are all in Tennessee. God Bless

7. Melodi and Shaun McDonald
    February 23, 2016 6:15 pm

We are so sorry for the loss of Mr. Henry Owen for ALL of the family. He was truly a WONDERFUL man. I have some special memories of him also, esp. dancing up a storm with him on the wedding of Liz and Scott. He will be remembered fondly and and our thoughts and prayers are with the whole family. His life story was amazing to read and we thank you for that. With Love from Us….

8. Carol and Jerry Kolpacke
    February 24, 2016 8:02 am

What an amazing life he had. What a fine man he was. So sorry for your loss. You are in our hearts and prayers God bless all of your family Love you guys?

9. Kevin Alley
    February 25, 2016 11:14 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Mr. Owen was a great man and indeed had a very interesting life. I have so many good memories and spending time with both Mr. and Mrs. Owen. He will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

10. Elisabeth DeWitt
    February 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank-you everyone for your touching remembrances of my dad. I miss him terribly already.

11. Barbara Owen Perkins
    February 26, 2016 8:39 pm

I am so grateful for the support and prayers of so many family and friends. Our Dad touched so many people. I hope I can continue to honor and celebrate his memory as we move forward.

12. Sally Hermann
    March 1, 2016 8:54 am

You are such a lucky family to have a wonderful father. He was a great person and father to you and that means so much. God bless.

13. Jim Prest
    May 31, 2016 1:01 pm

We lost track of Harry after he left WJBK-TV in Detroit. He was so knowledgeable and a fine fellow to work with. He was missed by his staff.

• Elisabeth DeWitt
      June 3, 2016 9:09 am

Thank-you Jim for your kind comments about my dad; Henry R. Owen. I remember WJBK in Detroit the most because when I was still in high school my dad took my friends and I on a tour of the station. He showed us the latest weather equipment, talked about how commercials ran at different times for different amounts, the teletype machine and then we saw Joe Glover, Beverly Payne and some of the other famous anchor people. I remember my dad was good friends with Philip Dick who worked with graphic arts at the station. I don’t know whatever happened to Philip Dick as I tried to locate him for my dad in the last five or six years with no success. My dad worked for the Gannet station WDVM in Washington DC until he retired at age 65. He enjoyed his 26 years of retirement and kept very busy with various Bobbie including the weather tower in his backyard! I think of my dad most every day. He was an inspiration to my brother, sister and I. Thanks again for your note on his Memorial page. Its made my day.-Elisabeth DeWitt