Gwen Louise Benson (Walker)

Born in Pickstown, SD on October 14, 1948

Departed on May 8, 2016 and resided in Gallatin, TN

Age 67, of Gallatin, TN, passed away on May 8, 2016. She is preceded in death by her parents, Wayne and Mary Louise Walker, and brother, Kevin Walker.
Gwen is survived by her beloved husband, Kenneth Edward Benson, of 47 years; daughter, Dawn Louise Boatman (Scott), grandchildren; Jessica Louise Boatman (Lee Harriman), Ryan Michael Boatman (Kelsey Elizer), Samantha Rose Boatman and brother, Dennis Walker (Pam). Gwen is also survived by her beloved dogs; Joey, Jody, and Jypsy, along with many other relatives and friends.
Gwen was born October 14, 1948, in Pickstown, South Dakota. She worked at Thomas and Thorngren in Nashville as operations manager. She was very intelligent and hard-working, and was always the first one to open and the last one to leave the office. She loved animals, reading mystery novels, and playing logic games. Her favorite things were her pets and spending time with family, especially taking vacations to different parts of the country. Her love for family values and traditions was shown through her excellent cooking as she loved to make jello jigglers and sausage pinwheels during the holidays. Gwen enjoyed sports of all kinds, specifically the Minnesota Vikings and Twins. For many years, she was on her company bowling and softball teams. Gwen will be remembered for her quick wit, generosity, and compassion for those in need.
Life celebration for Gwen will be held at Crestview Funeral Home, 1623 Highway 109 North, in Gallatin, TN on Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM. Visitation will begin at 1:00 PM.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Critter Barn Rescue at www.critterbarnrescue.org.

16 Comments to Gwen Louise Benson (Walker)

1. Tanya Claborn
    May 11, 2016 9:13 am

One of the most influential people in my life. The absolute strongest willed women I have ever met. She was very stern but had a heart of gold. She will be missed by so many. I can only dream of touching as many lives as she did. I hope she realized just how much she meant to so many. Many thoughts and prayers to everyone that loved her, especially her sweet family that meant everything in the world to her. Much love.

• The family
      May 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Thank you so much for all your love and kindness during this time. Gwen always thought so much of you.

2. Kris Thorngren
    May 11, 2016 9:34 am

Gwen will continue to have a lasting impact on me, my family, and our company. Her presence in our lives will always be a positive force. We are all so saddened by this. My thoughts and prayers are with Gwen’s family.

• The family
      May 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity during this time. Gwen thought so highly of you.

3. Wanda Holt
    May 12, 2016 9:39 am

Gwen and I were business friends. She was so kind to me during the 12 years I was “the Aflac lady.” After Gwen retired, I decided to retire from Aflac as well. I called her a toasted marshmallow — tough on the outside but sweet on the inside — a great combination in business. I am deeply saddened by her passing.

• The family
      May 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Thank you so much for your kindness. We love this analogy – our daughter Jessica used it in her eulogy!

4. Zona Mathison
    May 12, 2016 11:49 am

I am very saddened to read of Gwen’ s death in our Fargo Forum. Her parents were special friends over many years. My sympathy to the Benson family. I would love to hear from you, Denny.

• The family
      May 18, 2016 3:42 pm

Thank you for the kind words. We all remember you fondly and Gwen certainly held a special place for you in her heart.

5. Stephanie Baggett
    May 12, 2016 5:19 pm

I doubt I would even be where I am today if it weren’t for Gwen’s ability to see something in me that I hadn’t yet found. She had a way of pushing you to be a better person because she knew it was in you. She was more than my boss she was my friend, my listening ear, my mentor, my mother figure, and my overall support just when I needed it. She also had a way of putting me in my place when she knew I was wrong and for that I will always be grateful. I can truly say I am a better person because I knew her and I hope to one day be that person for someone else. My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

6. Jessica Daniel
    May 13, 2016 12:15 pm

This news has saddened so many. Like others have said I hope she knows how many lives she touched. She was an amazing boss and was always there for you. She was straight forward with a gentle heart as well. I loved when we had meetings and shed cuss in the middle of the situation. I was so sad to hear that she retired and was so thankful I could be there when she did. She was just an amazing woman and I feel for her family. Gone too soon. Rest in peace Gwen I will never forget you!

• The family
      May 18, 2016 3:45 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words. You certainly “pegged” Gwen with your comment about the meetings!

7. Jacque Brunsberg
    May 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Dear Bensons and Walkers –
    I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you. What a lovely slide show you have put together reflecting Gwen’s life – so many wonderful memories for you all to keep. You obviously were blessed to have Gwen’s wisdom, strength and love surround you all. I am sad your hearts are sad.

8. Donna Loring
    May 15, 2016 9:03 am

Gwen was an inspiration in many ways. As my supervisor for many years, she exemplified what it meant to be strong-willed, focused, self-motivated, and thorough. When she could, she would make time to share her personal side. We shared the same passion for animals. When I learned of her retirement and plans to open a rescue with her family, I was overjoyed. I knew that with her involvement in animal rescue, that many, many animals would get a second chance. I am deeply sadden by our loss here on Earth. Heaven, however, is more beautiful with her passing. My thoughts and prayers are with her family, with whom she adored. God bless! ❤

9. The family
    May 18, 2016 4:29 pm

Thank you for your kind words. We continue to work on making her dream of a rescue shelter a reality.