CMSGT Richard Wayne Gomer, USAF, Ret.

Born in Franklin, KY on October 17, 1956

Resided in Lafayette, TN

CMSGT(Retired) Richard Wayne Gomer went to fly high again on September 24, 2016. He fought a hard battle against Cancer.
He was born to the late Sterling R. and Holly Marie (Whitaker) Gomer in Franklin, Kentucky on October 17, 1956.

He is Survived by his wife of 30 years Diana Marie (Scott) Gomer, Daughter Tammy Ann Gomer, Son David Jason Ellis, Daughter Dana Marie Ellis, Sister Brenda Kay Maulden, Brother Larry Gene Gomer, Grandson Cody Wayne Coomer, Great Grandson Carter Dean Coomer, along with many cousins, nieces, nephews and many extended family, friends and neighbors thru-out his military career and retirement years.

Richard joined the US Air Force in March 1980. His professionalism, dedication, devotion, patriotism and sacrifices left an indelible mark on all who served with him. Richard had a goal of making Chief Master Sargent the highest rank for an enlisted airman, he attained his goal and sewed his stripes on 28 June 2002.He formally retired on 1 March 2005 after 25 years of distinguished service.
They lived on a lake in New Blaine, Arkansas from 2005 where he was a life member & Commander of VFW Post 8383 from 2010 until moving to Lafayette, Tennessee in 2012 to follow his dream of farming and being closer to family.

Richard lived life to the fullest, In which he worked hard, loved fishing, hunting, golfing and family gatherings & cookouts where he always had everyone smiling & laughing.

GOMER or GOME as many people referred to him had a heart of gold and is going to be greatly missed all over this lovely land.
Richard Chose to be cremated & the family is Making plans for a Life Celebration at a later date.

9 Comments to CMSGT Richard Wayne Gomer, USAF, Ret.

1. Bruce Johnson
    September 30, 2016 9:29 pm

Not a day has gone by that I don’t think about my co-worker and fishing partner, rest in piece my Air Force brother.

2. Sarah Uselton
    October 1, 2016 1:11 am

So sad to hear of Rick homers passing .breaks my heart gone far to early .he was an awesome chief master sergeant an good friend .rest in peace friend fly high with the Angels now.

3. Kathy Sampson Meador
    October 3, 2016 10:18 pm

Will cherish the memory of a childhood friend. Seems not so long ago when I spent time with the Gomers at the house next to Prospect Hill School. The bossy big brother of my best friend Kay, he liked to give us girls a hard time.
    Ricky… Till we see you again…

4. Joe Kahn
    October 4, 2016 10:12 am

The epitome of a Chief, Father, Husband and Friend. Rest in peace my friend.

5. Cody Coomer
    October 4, 2016 8:57 pm

There hasn’t been a day that I haven’t thought of you pa I was very blessed to have such a caring, loving, thoughtful grandfather in my life you impacted my life in so many ways teaching me how to become a great man just as you were I looked up to everything you ever did and wanted to be just like you when I grew up I’m very thankful for everything that you taught me from working on cars to repairing everything in households I wouldn’t be the man I am today if it hadn’t been for you and I know If I’m half the man you were I’ll be just fine I love you so much pa thank you for everything you and nana did for me to help guide and mentor me to have a great life. I miss you everyday and think about you every time I put on the uniform and go to work I wish i could have served under you Chief. Fly high pa I love you.

6. Gillian Fisher
    October 4, 2016 10:33 pm

So sad to hear we have lost Chief Gomer. He was a good leader and friend. Gone too soon, he will be missed.

7. Patricia
    October 12, 2016 1:36 pm

To the Gomer family, please take comfort in Jesus Christ words “there will be a resurrection and sickness and death will be gone forever.” John 5:28,29;Rev.21:3,4

8. Rick Copp
    November 25, 2016 6:01 pm

I’m proud to call Rick Gomer my friend. He will be missed by all who knew him. RIP brother!

9. Kevin Pund
    February 23, 2018 3:51 am

I learned a lot from Rick and will miss him