Barry Robert Timmerman, USN, Ret.

Born on July 23, 1945

Departed on September 14, 2016 and resided in Gallatin, TN

Barry Robert Timmerman, age 71, of Gallatin, TN, passed away at home on September 14, 2016. Preceded in death by his daughter, Kimberly McMillan, parents, Robert Arthur and Adelaide Ivy (Cornelious) Timmerman, and brother, Bob Timmerman.
Barry is survived by his loving wife of 35 years, Glenda Timmerman (Scott), children; Bryan (Lynne) Timmerman, Shawn (Kelly) Timmerman, Deborah (Glenn) Kotelnicki and Dale (Joy) Nash, brother, Brian (Liz) Hill, sister, Violet Hill, 11 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. Barry is also survived by his Schnauzer “Cody”, along with many nieces, nephews, extended family and friends.
Barry was born on July 23, 1945 in Hastings, England to Robert and Adelaide Timmerman. He was a U.S. Navy veteran and served on the USS Liberty during the Vietnam War era and was a Purple Heart recipient. His happiest times were sitting in the Liberty’s crow’s nest, reading. Barry enjoyed watching NASCAR and was a Mark Martin fan. He played and enjoyed watching golf, was a Titans and Volunteers fan, enjoyed Kentucky basketball and was a fan of both the Chicago Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals.
Barry’s personality is described as being a “mountain of a man”. He was a loving and wise family man, always had a joke, and will be dearly missed by all who knew him.
A Life Celebration for Barry will be held at Crestview Funeral Home in Gallatin on Wednesday, September 21, at 11:00AM. Visitation will be held Tuesday, September 20, from 5:00PM – 8:00PM and again one hour prior to the service. Barry will be laid to rest at Nashville National Cemetery with Military Honors.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital at www. st.jude.org

31 Comments to Barry Robert Timmerman, USN, Ret.

1. Gail and Tim yarbrough
    September 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Our hearts are broken at the loss of our friend bear and part of our civic center swim family. We are in continuing prayer for the family. We pray that the lord will wrap his loving arms around glenda, and give her strength. We love you Gail and Tim Yarbrough.✝

• Glenda Timmerman
      September 23, 2016 2:50 pm

Gail and Tim, thank you so much and all the ones from the civic center, Barry loved all of you and the relationships that he was making.

2. Gail and Tim yarbrough
    September 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Sending love and prayers

3. Carol York Brangers
    September 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Glenda – Dear Friend — My heart aches for you tonight. Please know that you and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care until we meet again. Love you -Sweet Lady —

4. Margie & Al Kenyon
    September 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Our heartfelt condolences with love.
    Alan and Margie Kenyon

5. Joel W Lehman
    September 16, 2016 11:04 pm

I as on the USS Liberty with Barry. I remember he was wounded in an arm and I help give him first aid.

6. Simi Poe
    September 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Glenda and family

Mine and Darrell’s heart goes out to you all. Your son Dale and his family have been such wonderful friends to us and because of our friendship we are glad to have known you and Barry. I know that Barry will be greatly missed. Joy has told me many wonderful stories about him and what a great father-in-law he was to her. Not only will he be missed by people but little Cody will miss him too. Take care of that little fella he will be lost without Barry. Your in our thoughts and prayer. We LOVE you.

7. Shirley Scott
    September 17, 2016 10:41 pm

Oh much love and prayers, so sorry

8. Mike and Joyce Pardue
    September 18, 2016 12:13 am

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayer’s

9. Bryce Lockwood
    September 18, 2016 8:04 am

I was the Marine who pushed Barry’s wheelchair to the Memorial aboard the USS AMERICA June 10th, 1967. We almost got reconnected when Barry lived in Joplin, MO. I tried to call in ’91, but no voice mail. Really wish we could have gotten together. Would love to hear from the family. Cell #417 848 3858 Please leave voice mail.
    Ol’Sarge

• Glenda Timmerman
      September 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Bryce, thank you for your memories. Barry is missed my all I have taken down your number and one day will make that call to hear some of your stories. Thank you Glenda.

10. ollen & sue stephens
    September 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Glenda our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time

11. Sharon Sims
    September 20, 2016 7:59 am

We are so sorry for your loss. I only met Barry a couple of times, but I can tell he was a great man by what I have heard from others. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

12. Lou Micheletto
    September 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Glenda, I am real sad to the hear about Barry. I have endless memories of his humor and strong personality. Barry never met a stranger or anyone that too big that he wouldn’t joke with the person. While our paths have not physically crossed in years I often think of him. He was mentor, a fiend and a role model.
    Tonight I will sit in my chair, have a beer and send a solute to a men who lived a great life
    Lou Micheletto

• Glenda Timmerman
      September 23, 2016 2:38 pm

Lou, Barry would love these kind words, he was a very funny person there is no doubt and the two of you had more than a few laughts together. Thank you

13. Caprice King
    September 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Glenda, my heart is heavy for you and your family. When you all lived in Colorado Springs there were many times that the Bunco group converged into your home. You and Barry were great host and hostess and we always enjoyed our time with you all. You are in our thoughts and prayers, hugs.

• Glenda Timmerman
      September 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Thank you Caprice it is times like these that you miss the friends that you have not seen in a long time. God Bless

14. Danielle Rickenbaker
    September 21, 2016 9:59 am

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know he will be greatly missed and fondly remembered. Love, Danielle

15. Teri Foley
    September 21, 2016 5:01 pm

We are saddened to hear of Barry’s passing and we wish you comfort and peace in faith and the loving presence of friends and family at this time. Blessings to you and your family.
    Teri and John Foley, Colorado Springs

16. Glenda Timmerman
    September 23, 2016 2:43 pm

Thank you Teri and your family. I miss my Bunco family. thank you for your kind words.

17. Ron Fischer
    December 27, 2016 1:50 pm

So sorry for your loss. Barry was my best friend while we served on the Liberty, practically inseparable. We lost touch after a few years, but I have thought often of the friendship we had, we all will miss him terribly. .