Alfred R. "Al" Goguen

Born in Fitchburg, MA on June 11, 1931

Departed on May 23, 2019 and resided in Portland, TN

Alfred R. “Al” Goguen, age 87 of Portland, passed away May 23, 2019 at his home. Al was born on June 11, 1931 in Fitchburg, MA to the late Joseph Goguen and the late Beatrice LeBlanc Goguen. Al was a veteran of the United States Army; after his military service he went to work as an engineer for TVA, retiring after 30 years of service. After retirement, he was president of the TVA Retirees for several years and always enjoyed being with fellow retirees. Family was Al’s number one priority, he loved his children and grandchildren dearly. He was an avid Boston Red Sox, Tennessee Titans and Vanderbilt Commodores fan; he enjoyed golfing for many years as long as his health allowed. He had a great sense of humor and was a practical joker, often playing pranks on his family. Al attended Crossroads Church in Westmoreland and loved his church family. He was a loving husband, father and grandfather; he will be deeply missed by his family. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his son, Rick Goguen; grandchildren, Rachel and Eric Petersen; siblings, Bernard, Emile, Ray, Hilda, Edith, and Hervey. He is survived by his wife of 38 years, Geneva Goguen; children, Pam Goguen Quintal, Karen Fosmire (Garrett), and Tammy Duke (Tracy Pepper); grandchildren, Matt Mayberry (Kimberly), Amanda Melton (Justin), Lacey Quintal, Shelly Crook (Steven), and Travis Goguen (Celina); and 7 great-grandchildren. Funeral Services will be conducted on Tuesday, May 28th at 11:00 A.M. from the chapel of Crestview Funeral Home with Bro. Jay McDonald officiating. Interment with Military Honors will follow in Crestview Memory Gardens. Visitation with the family will be on Monday, May 27th from 5-8 P.M. Arrangements Entrusted To: Crestview Funeral Home and Memory Gardens, 1623 Highway 109 North, Gallatin, Phone: (615)452-1943; Obituary Line: (615)452-7589 www.crestviewfh.com

12 Comments to Mr. Alfred R. "Al" Goguen

1. Carolyn Denney
    May 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Rest In Peace, Al. You were a good man. You were a good husband to Geneva. You were a good stepfather to Karen and Tammy, my sweet nieces and a good grandfather to their children. My brother, Don, liked you and he trusted you with his daughters. I considered you to be my brother-in-law. Geneva, Karen and Tammy, I love you. My prayers are with all of Al’s family.

2. Tony and Dana Brown
    May 24, 2019 7:33 pm

What a wonderful blessing to call Al our friend. A love like no other for his family and friends. We are so thankful that God blessed us on our journey with Al and Geneva. We are praying for the family. We love all of you dearly.

• Karen Fosmire
      May 24, 2019 9:16 pm

Thank you, Tony and Dana! Our hearts are broken, but I’m happy that he’s in a better place. Now, he can see and hear everything!

3. Tammy Duke
    May 24, 2019 8:28 pm

I don’t know how to say goodbye
    I’m so used to you being here with Mom
    I look for You in Your favorite chair
    When I dont see YOU I just want to cry

I know I will see You again someday
    When we meet at Heaven’s door
    I will see You in the arms of God
    And then I won’t cry no more

We will talk and laugh like we always did
    And rejoice in the Lord each day
    I love You Al with all my heart
    This is all I want to say

Love Your daughter
    Tammy Duke

4. Stacy Chatman
    May 24, 2019 9:20 pm

My condolences to this family he was a very joyful man and will be missed dearly.

Love, Mr and Mrs. Miles and Stacy Chatman.

5. Kathe Biederman Cox
    May 24, 2019 10:34 pm

I lived in his Mobile Home Park in Goodlettsville Tennessee back in the 70’s…He would always call me “Kathe Jo” His daughter Pam and I were best friends back in Junior High..He was always so nice to me and was always cutting up and making Pam and I laugh. He was a special person and even after all these years..I never forgot him..He will remain in my heart forever..He truly was one of a kind..Rest In Peace Kind Sir….

6. pam goguen
    May 24, 2019 11:10 pm

MY DAD, still it doesnt sink in, could not battle the big “C”, he was the BEST dad a girl could ever have, patient, funny, always joking, teasing whatever would make you smile. He shook his head yes for no and no for yes my whole life. I am with comfort that he will be with my brother Ricky and my partner Ray and all the Goguen’s (memere and pepere) and his wife Geneva’s family as well. He fought til the end but in peace he went home! My and my children and grandchildren are sorely going to miss him so dang much!

Your soaring with the angels and no more pain and no more health issues, no more sight problems, HOPE your looking down on us and will hold our hand as we get through this. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH DAD, FOREVER IN MY HEART!

7. Peggy Fields Akers
    May 25, 2019 6:34 am

I’ll never forget him letting me ride up front in the car when we got to Florida. It was my first time to see the ocean. He enjoyed my excitement. I’m so sorry for your loss! I know you will miss him.

• Sheila and Joseph Cregg and family.
      May 25, 2019 10:11 am

Dear Uncle Al, One of my fav uncles with your warm sense of humor and loving words. You were loved by everyone you touched. Rest In Peace with your family. They are so lucky to have you now. You will truly be missed. Geneva please stay strong and find comfort in knowing how much he loved you. ♥️

8. Jerry and Vicki Gilliam
    May 25, 2019 10:34 pm

It just doesn’t seem right. We will always remember the trips and vacations we took together. There were many and are lodged in our minds forever. Geneva, you did so much for Al and made his life so much better. We have always loved both of you Jerry and Trixie

9. Reba Whitison
    May 27, 2019 2:17 pm

What a wonderful blessing to call Al and Geneva our friends. You will be sorely missed by your TVARA friends at the Nashville meetings.

A wonderful guy! Rest in Peace Al.

From your Buddy Bud and Reba Jane